Friday, December 6, 2013

A New Venue! And, It's a Great Weekend for a Pottery Crawl!

I'm super excited today because I took a few dozen of my new ornaments to the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia (AGNS) Gallery Shop .   The shop has so many beautiful things made in Nova Scotia, and I'm looking forward to taking more work here in the near future!  Pretty much all of the ornaments in this post except for the ones marked for Jenny Jib are available for $19.95 each.   They also took a few signed copies of my "What If Michelangelo Was A Telemarketer" book to try out, at $10 each.   I arrived just in time to be part of this great event happening tomorrow:


The Gift Shop will also be having tax free days/evenings on Dec 12th, 14th and 19th.

My ornaments in their new venue! My kitchen table has a lot more space on it now, but I miss them! Thanks, Evgenia for sending me this pic from her super smart smartphone!
Also happening tomorrow, the Opening Reception for Swoon's December Shows.  New paintings by Rachael Peters, Dorothy Mosher and "Christmas Presence 4" Swoon's 4th annual pottery show and sale.   This year there are 26 potters, including regular Swoon potters as well as many fantastic new additions: Tracy Horsman, Gloria Dunbar, Carol Smeraldo, Pat Woods, France Arruda, Shauna MacLeod, Andrew Langille, Rachel Morouney, Lily Meadows, Aimee Swikit, Rosemary Metz, Amy Noel, Basia Lukwinsky, Barbara Carter, Laura Jolicoeur, Laura Stevenson, Jennifer Houghtaling, Jaki Durocher, Anne Pryde, Dorota Forfa, Hermann-Suzuki Pottery, Gillian Murdoch, Danielle Sawada, Nancy Roberts, Carol Morrow and I have some work there too.

 


But wait, there's more!  I'm not part of the next two events, but love a quote I read in the Herald once by the owner of Strange Adventures, a comic book store in Halifax.  "A rising tide floats all boats".  I think this is such a nice sentiment.   There are a lot of fantastic potters in this province making work for all aesthetic tastes and budgets.  I figure more buzz about any pottery events can only be good for the industry in general.  If more people get excited about the fact that this province is brimming with beautiful, locally handmade pots, this can only benefit everyone as more people become pottery collectors!  New to pottery collecting? Try a mug or bowl and see if your food or drink doesn't taste better when you use it...

There is a giant show/sale at Dragonfire Pottery and Supplies which began today in the Burnside area of Dartmouth, I wish I could have made it over but ran out of time!   I think I read that there is work there by 33 Potters (!) by both students and instructors.  Even pottery instructors are constantly learning so I guess that makes everyone students!  Dragonfire offers pottery lessons and also has a gallery area with great work by several local potters displayed and available for sale year round.


 

But wait, there's more!! I'm hunkered down for the weekend but wish I could make it out to this show, by Ceramic Artist Mary Jane Lundy who owns Crescent Clay Studio in East Dover "Light up Your Christmas".  I have a couple of her pieces, her work is so fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment