Sunday, February 23, 2014

This Week's Favourite Things! Feb 17th - Feb 23rd, 2014

This is my third week of posting a list of My Favourite things aka things that make me go "ook ook ook" in monkeyspeak.  So far so good!  Stumbled across a few things this week that I really liked!


1. Look, Halifax, look! An Ethical REIT!!  Housing Partnership Equity Trust.  I noticed this on twitter when I posted my last monkey story with hashtag REIT (#REIT).  Sounds like a great initiative.  Folks have formed a REIT that is allowing non-profits to purchase apartment buildings to turn into sustainable, quality, low income housing.  Some big American banks are giving them a hand up with this.  I look forward to seeing how the project goes as I think this could be a helpful solution for the affordable housing crisis happening all over Canada.

2. Twitter and what I like to call "Human Conservation Biology".  I've had a great week of finding exciting websites via twitter, where people have been taking a very big picture approach to Ecology.  Spiritual Ecology and Humans and Nature are two of my favourite pages I've found.  In particular I love the thought of taking a look at the intersection of economics and political factors when considering conservation, as outlined in this Humans and Nature Project: Ecological Political Economy.  It's uplifting to see so many people interested in crossing fields of study looking for ways to improve life on the planet for all life forms sharing it.

3. Danny Gregory The Art of Breakfast.  Thanks to my artist friend Evgenia for telling me about this artist who has posted cool youtube videos such as this one.  I've been on break from my studio, struggling with trying not to just make art for the sake of making money.  Danny's fun attitude towards his art is inspiring.  I look forward to checking out more of his stuff!




4.  Articles by Steven Stosny. Phd and what I believe is his website, Compassion Power.  For anyone who has come from a chaotic background and has ended up in a relationship with someone from a chaotic background (I believe this might be true for a lot of people) I think there is some awesome advice in here. 

5.  Blogger.   I've become smitten with blogger and have begun tagging my posts.  It is just so fun to have a wholly independent platform where I can form opinions and stories to be published instantly to a potential audience of millions.  Even media outlets have responsibilities to their advertisers, government and whoever else pays their bills. I'm in a nice position where I can't get fired.   The monkey stories are becoming a fun way to interpret the way I see the world.   I did just see this Project Eve article today which is food for thought:  7 Symptoms of a Poverty Mentality by Te-Erika Patterson.  Item 7 about 'world-view' makes a point.  So I'm going to try to keep my fun-poking fun, positive and solution orientated... the monkeys always will live happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment