Thursday, May 25, 2017

Studio Update! May 25th, 2017

I've been sculpting away,  and really enjoying it.  Here are just a few pics of some pieces in progress, there's more, so I'll have to start underglazing as I'm out of places to put things. 

A small herd of Blanding's turtles; I've wanted to make some for awhile, this charming turtle is endangered in Nova Scotia.   This past Tuesday May 23 was "World Turtle Day".  I learned recently that turtles are a celestial animal in feng shui and symbolize protection.



 A few of a bunch of brooches: the fishes are going to be a yin yang and after I carved them I realized they are carp; apparently pairs of carp are lucky in feng shui.  


 A couple of goats and a few chickens.  We keep talking about getting goats and chickens one day so I decided to make some, way less maintenance.


 As well as a few more bunnies holding flowers, waiting for a precious ring or ashes from a fine smokeable, here is a skunk holding a flower with an Om symbol carved into its haunch.  This is one of my favourite things I've ever made and has me all excited about the next firing already!


Same skunk with a few flower brooches which are super fun to make.  With the sculptures becoming increasingly time consuming I'm planning to have handsculpted brooches, pendants and flat ornaments as my lower price point objects, where they're quicker to make.  




There's a shark in the background, other figurines I didn't photograph include sharks, whales, seagulls, lobsters, dogs and turkeys.  There are a few larger figures including an owl and a pussycat, a couple of dogs and a fish.  The next post will probably be of the finished work; if all goes well there will be quite a bit!


1 comment:

  1. Just saw your work in Lunenburg. I collect turtles & would LOVE to add one of these, but sadly, the shop didn't have any.

    ReplyDelete