Friday, July 6, 2012

Long Island Retreat, May 22nd - May 29th

Well here it is July already and there's a lot of catching up to do! So a few posts today and an update.  

Since my last post I had the good fortune of being invited by Helen Opie to stay on Long Island for a week, with Helen and 4 other artists.  It was a really lovely trip with very nice people!  And a really great break after the chaos of moving in the spring.   Red sand, islands, rock formations, dramatic skies, changing light, old trees and the breathing of the ocean made for a soothing stay indeed.




Most of the others set out to do plein air paintings, but I brought along my draft of "What If Michelangelo Was A Telemarketer" and re-drew many of the pictures to self publish; such that they'd make sense with a fold down the middle for a 'chap book'.  It was really great to have this time on an island to work towards finishing one of my many projects! My draft is now at Kwik Kopy in Halifax, hopefully I'll have the printed books within a couple of weeks!


Helen painting on the beach


Long Island is owned by Dick Lemon who created the space with the view of having a place where creative types could gather.  It has a main house which is on solar, and 3 outbuildings.  I got to stay in the "lighthouse" and enjoy a great view which inspired me to start doing yoga again; I'd not felt this relaxed, focused and in tune with everything since traveling to Asia in 2001.  It was a week of healthy living and eating and great conversation.  I'm extremely grateful to Dick for offering Helen this opportunity (which came about from Helen writing "Long Island Sketch Journal" on a different trip).  Getting to celebrate Helen's 79th birthday with her on the last day was an added bonus!
It was a great experience, thank you so much!


My view from in front of the lighthouse cabin



No comments:

Post a Comment