Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Getting Unstuck

Now that my book is printed and out there, my focus is turning back towards sculpting and putting food by.  While I've made and finished a couple new papier mache pieces, I've not touched clay since moving from my Halifax home to the country.  

"Sam The Groundhog" papier mache, acrylic paint, available at Swoon a tribute to the groundhog that lives under/around my kiln shed
Today I finally grabbed a ball of clay and sculpted a fox figurine.  Ahhhh... it felt so good to get making again!  Often when I'm forming something the sculpture starts "speaking" to me.  The message this fox had was "more sculpting, less worrying". 

Freshly sculpted stoneware fox figurine



I've been invited to participate by wildlife artist Sandy Moser in the 2nd Annual Hope For Wildlife Art Festival, which will be taking place September 29th 2012, at 11am - 4pm in Cole Harbour, at Cole Harbour Place in the Harbour Room.  I'm so pleased because I think highly of this organization, as a wildlife lover I'm looking forward to contributing.  And, it's a win/win because the terms of participating are very artist-friendly.   Now that my kiln is wired and good to go, I should actually be able to make some new work for this event!  I've been getting inspired by looking at the creatures on the Hope For Wildlife Society website.


Fox figurine with one of my fox bowls for scale.  The mug is by Joan Bruneau, an amazing potter with a shop in Lunenburg: "Nova Terra Cotta".  I stuck it in the shot because its such a great mug!

No comments:

Post a Comment