Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Studio Update

Here are some pics of things I've been working on lately:


The above grouping of pieces is inspired by a piece of silk I brought back from Taiwan (which I no longer have) which had a print of a phoenix battling a dragon all over it.  I'm becoming increasingly interested in wall hanging pieces and the potential for arranging compositions on the wall.   The clouds are currently a darker grey just because they haven't dried as much as the other pieces.

 

I've been working on some new mugs including the above "Chimp Mugs" which were the easiest of the mugs to photograph.


 When I lived in Regina, after my house burnt down in 2007, my friend and I were shopping for stuff for the apartment I moved to and found this big ceramic rooster at Winners.  We named it "Cocky" and it cheered me up.  So this is my attempt at creating something similar, I've named this rooster "Lucky". 


 Horses of various sizes.  The 5 smaller ones were all started at pinch pots, in white earthenware clay.  The largest one is stoneware and was started with thrown pieces.  In doing this I discovered that making pottery horses is actually pretty challenging.





Close ups of the biggest horse, not convinced I got the proportions of this guy as well as I'd have liked, and he started out MUCH bigger. 



3 comments: