Wednesday, October 16, 2013

New Low-fire Figurines

My kiln is cooling down now with the cone 6 spirit animals that I glazed yesterday, minus the rabbit whose foot I broke off before it left my studio to go to kiln shed.  maybe I should glaze it and it'll be my lucky rabbit foot?

 In bisque firing my pieces I glazed a bunch of new figurines to cone 04 that I'm excited about, many remind me of "pulp creatures" that I've made in the past out of paper mache.  It's fun to find commercial glazes that are similar to the bright acrylics I would paint with, and recreate some of my favourite past paper mache sculptures out of clay.  These are all headed to Swoon tomorrow and will be $18 each.  I included a couple of pics at the end of my favourites from this batch, the owl and turkey, in my hand for scale.  The figurines average a couple inches in height.

In the future there are a few things I'd do different; the eyes crawled a bit where I painted black concepts over the yellow or green eyeballs; I think if I carve spots out for the pupils with a tool I can avoid this in the next batch.

Bunnies

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil...

vulture, cobra, lion

mouse, cat, owl

poultry

horse, goat, border collie, cow

turtle, skunk, frog

snail, brontosaurus, fish

group photo, class of Oct 16, 2013

owl close up

turkey close up

No comments:

Post a Comment