Tuesday, October 7, 2014

This Week's Favourite Things! Sept 29th - October 5th 2014

1.  Organic apple cider vinegar with 'the mother' which I've been drinking in water to stave off a virus.  It's really good for you, I had no idea!

2. This Herald Story:  Halifax urban garden puts down roots.  So happy to see a common sense solution to providing healthy food for people who might not otherwise be able to afford it.  In today's paper there was a story about how many youths in Nova Scotia are depressed.  I wonder if it has anything to do with low-nutrition, over processed foods convenient (cheap) foods and a lack of fresh vegetables.  Maybe urban gardens like these could be part of the solution. Maybe someone could come up with a cheap 'gardening daycamp' as a summer childcare option for working parents, where the kids bring home vegetables and reconnect with the earth.

3.  This Canadian Turkey Torture website.  Again 'favourite' probably isn't a good word but I'm glad I saw it. After my big post about turkeys I think I'm rethinking how much factory farmed meat I really need to eat, despite the seasonal ads for turkey only 97 cents a pound.  We used to buy a few of such turkeys but suddenly lentils are looking good as an alternative.

4.  Handmade business cards.  I borrowed this idea from a person I used to play ultimate with in Vancouver, who would cut up beer boxes and type on them with a typewriter for business cards.   I've started working on new stuff and figured why not make cards out of cut up boxes... and handwrite on them as part of my mission to reduce my own consumption of all sorts of things.  In doing so I discovered the insides of Yogi tea boxes have really pretty designs on them.  Plus their teas are delicious.




5.  Podcasts about social media marketing by Pam Moore.  Now that I'm back to getting serious about art I've become very interested in marketing.   So I've gone on a bit of  learning binge about it, starting with listening to podcasts while making business cards and frames for papier mache piping plover Christmas ornaments wearing santa hats.  

No comments:

Post a Comment