Sunday, March 30, 2014

This Week's Favourite Things! March 24th - March 30th

1.  Our Excalibur Dehydrator, and flax crackers and fruit roll ups.  My vegan raw-foodist friends recommended an Excalibur Dehyrdator as 'the only dehydrator you'll ever need'.  So far we've mostly used it for kale chips and onion bread but this week I made flaxseed crackers and fruit roll ups.  Yum! For the crackers were made up from a couple recipes off the internet, with extra garlic and fresh parsely, dehydrated until crispy.  For the fruit rollups it seems the simpler the better, the best batch was apples, thawed frozen blueberries and a bit of honey.   Apple, banana, vanilla and sunflower seed butter was also good.  Suddenly I'm very interested in 50% off fruit at Superstore.  We got our Excalibur from Upaya Naturals and they were pretty awesome about it. 

2.  Recycled 1.89L tetra pak Almond Milk Containers for starting seeds.  I saw on Facebook once that cutting one of the bigger sides off an almond milk containers makes a great seed starting vessel.  It's true! I've got basil, cilantro, sage, watermelon and some flowers started and ready to be transplanted into this week's favourite thing #3.  Check out pics of what this looks like from another blogger's site.

3. Deep-Root Seed Starters from Lee Valley.  This is our third year using these and they're great, I started 3 x 72 cell trays of tomatoes and peppers last night and will be moving our started plants from the almond milk containers to trays soon.  Excited for gardening season!

4.  This article about how one Phd Student started a fight against the Experimental Lakes Area (ELA) shut down in Ontario.  I think this article highlights how anti-science the current Canadian government is and makes me feel better about my decision to bug out from my career in favour of getting as self-sufficient as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment