Thursday, September 25, 2014

This Week's Favourite Things! Sept 15th - Sept 21st, 2014

Got a bit behind but here are things I noticed last week!

1. This Chronicle Herald article about L'acadie Vineyards, an organic vineyard in Nova Scotia that employs nearby sheep as lawnmowers.  Seeing a herd of fluffy sheep and reading a story about another BC expat who doesn't want to use harsh chemicals on the land, recognizing the health impact this would have on his family, was really heart-warming.  

Such a nice change from all the 'boohoo why aren't we fracking' columns... eg Marilla's Stephenson's Wednesday essay on why can't we be more like Saskatchewan.  

As an aside, I lived in Saskatchewan just as the NDP government was falling and it was 'opening for business' (2005 - 2008).  Even a boom like that has its drawbacks as I watched friends who formerly enjoyed cheap rent get their cost of living ratcheted up frighteningly quickly.  Unfortunately not everyone wants, or can get, a highly paid resource extraction job.  Plus there's the obvious point that SK is way bigger than NS and floats over giant deposits of natural gas.  The other thing people may not notice about NS versus the giant provinces of the west, is that the proportion of the land base in private hands is dramatically higher here in NS.  BC, ALTA and SK have way more crown land for government to play with, and sparsely populated vast expanses of it to go harvesting fossil fuels from.  Even if the NS liberals didn't impose a fracking moratorium, with the already hot debate and amount of people who prefer their groundwater frack-chemical-free, I'd imagine any action by an oil and gas company would meet with noisy opposition due to the fact that most projects here are bound to have concerned neighbours.  I wonder if there are columnists in SK admonishing their government for not instigating a lobster fishery...

2.  The Peace Pole Project.  What a nice idea, stumbled across this checking out the Global Meditation on Sept 21 organized by Unify.  I'd love to make a peace pole with ceramic bits for the garden.  Like this one by Nuala Creed (see bottom of page).  That's going on the 'things to do list', and I like the thought of creating peace poles as collaborations.

3.  I'm pleased to report that as of THIS week I think I know know everything I need to know about sociopathy and corruption and am slowly exiting the torpor I've been in all year and rediscovering my studio and love of sculpture (hurrah).  However on Friday/Saturday last week I discovered these super interesting videos on the Corbett Report youtube channel:

I think it'd be great if everyone in the world watched this video to understand the US Federal reserve and its global implications:



This video on apathy was also interesting:






No comments:

Post a Comment