Tuesday, September 2, 2014

This (Past Two) Week's Favourite Things! August 18th - August 31st 2014

I missed last week's post, so here are a pile of favourite things:

1.  The Empathy Trap Book - by Jane McGregor and Tim McGregor.  A great read for anyone who feels like their head has been messed with by someone lacking a conscience.  I downloaded the ebook version from Kindle.

2. "Jonestown - Paradise Lost"  Docudrama from 2007 I watched recently on Netflix that led to me researching sociopathy to learn more.  The Jim Jones story fascinates me - it is shocking and sad and terrible so I feel bad listing it as a 'favourite thing' as so many people died, the word 'fascinating' is more appropriate, such that hopefully the exploration of this story could prevent similar events from occurring in the future.  It's sort of a modern horrific real life version of the Emperor's New Clothes.  This story got me thinking about how people like that can somehow end up with a herd of faithful followers who take the leader at their word - it's a dynamic that unfortunately occurs in many workplaces and political systems, even on small scales.  The story makes me wonder if there are people who could have stopped this from happening earlier on, or was the sociopathic cult leader's spell too powerful until it was too late. 

3.  Assertiveness for Earth Angels - a great book by Doreen Virtue, via her publisher, Hay House.  Even for those who find the 'angel' thing a bit to 'out there' Doreen has a psychology background and the book has a lot of great advice for compassionate people who like to help others.

4.  This great book by Sister Corita Kent:  Learning by Heart: teachings to free the creative spirit.   In the past two weeks I ran away from home for a view days to visit my dear friend and wonderful painter Helen Opie in Granville Ferry.  Helen has so many great books and this one popped out at me to check out, even before she recommended it.  It's so nice, and is all about the interconnectedness of one's life and one's art practice, and the importance of enjoying each bit of the process.

5.  Helen's sailboat that's she's building in the workshop at Sarah Pavia's Gallery in Annapolis Royal.  When I arrive Helen had drafted 2 mormon missionaries into helping her assemble the pieces as it went from 2-D to 3-D.  I was very happy to get to help as well along with a couple of other people.  Like giant puppet building, boat building seems to be a really fun communal thing to do.   Helen is 81 and this is here first boat she's ever built - I find that so inspiring and look forward to her "grand cruise" up the Annapolis River next year as it has been a dream of hers for years.  I'll stick some photos in here at some point if I can get some from her.

6.  Sarah Pavia's Gallery which is at 221 St Anthony Street in Annapolis Royal.  Not to be confused with the Pavia Gallery in the HRM which is a totally different thing - I haven't been there yet.

7.  The Annapolis Royal Farmers and Trader's market - this is a great market and apparently one of the oldest ones in Nova Scotia. 

8.  Get Out the Way - great song by Mother Mother



9.  This photo I saw on The Other 98% Facebook Page



10.  Red Russian Kale.  I've been so slack about photographing the garden this year - I should soon.  It's a lovely tangle of vegetables and flowers.  I tried a bunch of new seeds this year and am really happy with the 'Red Russian Kale' - it makes giant leaves - more leafy than stemmy like other varieties - and has a nice mild taste

11.  "Saving Seeds As If Our Lives Depended On It" a book by Dan Jason of Salt Spring Seeds.  I picked up a copy with my seed order from Annapolis Seeds.  It's a small book but very well written and interesting.  All sorts of things are bolting around the garden so we're going to try seed saving this year.  The book mentions "volunteer plants" that reseed themselves in subsequent years so I've been enjoying a lot of cilantro because of seeds that fell and started growing again.

12.  Green cilantro seeds.  So tasty smashed up and cooked into things.

No comments:

Post a Comment