Saturday, September 1, 2012

My Studio!

So I spent most of yesterday finally organizing my studio so I can start throwing and working away at stuff.  Last week I recycled a whole pile of clay, so now I needed a space to actually work.  When I first moved into the house I thought I'd get a separate building built eventually but I realized it's a large house for 2 people and the big room on the 2nd floor suits me just fine.

I had started taking off the wallpaper when I first moved in, and was going to paint, but decided that can wait til after Xmas.  Time to get to work!!  I did find some pieces of vinyl flooring in that black/white checkerboard pattern I like.  Cheap! From Kent.

 


 View walking in from the door; awesome large painting of woman in red dress by super talented Swoon owner Brandt Eisner, pull out sofa for me to lounge on while looking up stuff online, and also for hosting overnight guests... The studio will double as a spare room so I'm determined to work very very VERY clean from now on so as not to give visitors silicosis!  

I've been reflecting on my process lately and realized that I'm happiest just really taking my time and putting more attention/mindfulness into fewer pieces.  This is the way I used to work back when sculpting was just my hobby and before I decided to make a career of it.  It's more fun for me and less consumptive of materials (clay, glaze, electricity for firings).



Another view of studio showing my wheel and spot where I sit and carve stuff.  IT IS SO BRIGHT!!! After working in a basement I'm loving this! I've already thrown 12 bowls to make into animal bowls since yesterday as well as making a few more figurines.

 
View out window to the left: the branches of the giant oak beside the house



View out the window in front of my wheel; more trees and I can also see part of the garden.



 I felt compelled to make some flying crows that can hang on the wall; these are works in progress.  I've made a few doves like this and I love them.  Being stoneware the finished crows could be hung outside too, my doves used to be on my front porch railing but now hang in my kitchen.


Stoneware doves in my kitchen flying around a framed fox-catching-snowflakes print card by Niko Silvester of White Raven Arts (at least I think that's who I bought it from, Halifax Crafter's Market!).

No comments:

Post a Comment