Monday, September 21, 2015

This Week's Favourite Things! Monday September 14th - Sunday September 20th, 2015

1.  This recent ABC news article with a photo of a seal riding the back of a humpback whale in Australia.

2.  Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret.  This is a great documentary, backed by Leonardo DiCaprio, now available on Netflix in Canada at least, or click the link and download it for $4.95 only. 

So glad this film was made, it validates my intuitive chucking of my conservation biology career in favour of growing vegetables.  And it reminds about how weird it was that the land trust I last worked for in BC served rare steak, with no vegetarian option, for its fancy fundraising dinner.   

It also reminded me of my research for my MSc on songbirds in the grasslands of the Okanogan Valley of BC.  Some cattle range on crown land managed by the government was in way worse shape than privately owned rangeland.  Go figure.
 
It'd probably be awesome for the planet were all humans to immediately go vegan but that's probably a tall order - but even if everyone cut back dramatically on animal products, and cut out all factory farmed animal products, it'd be a good start.  Then maybe the planet could even sustain small amounts of animal products for those who wanted some.

Personally though I try to be mostly vegan though at this point I do find myself occasionally - like once a week or less frequently - craving small amounts animal products (not dairy). I'm guessing this is for brain health from what I've read.   I think vegans, like everyone, need to be careful about making sure they get all the required supplements, though it seems it can be done.  This article lists off some brain nutrients and has a lot of interesting comments/debate below it.   Luckily in Nova Scotia there are a lot of farmer's markets with non-factory farmed animal products, and local seafood.   

3.  Speaking of even more reasons why we should all be eating no, or less animal products, this lecture on youtube:

4.  Canned coconut milk as a delicious substitute for cream

5.  What I made for supper the other night: kale 'fried' in water with some raw coconut oil on top, a chopped up cucumber, a chopped up avocado, some chia seed gel, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, cayenne, sea salt, pepper. 

6.  The Forest Lakes Country Club website. This development underway near the Halifax airport looks nice and has some cool sustainable site prep techniques being used like cleared trees being recycled to topsoil.

No comments:

Post a Comment