Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Works In Progress: Whaleware, A Skulk, and Relief Carved Bowls

I'm still working away getting things carved up for the next firing and thought I'd post some pics.  

I've really been enjoying myself! And waxing nostalgic that this fall will be 10 years since I started selling art, back in Regina.

I'm pleased to report that lately I've started feeling as excited about making art as I did back in 2005.  Hooray! It is so nice to feel this way again but now with lots more experience..

First up, some sitting fox figurines.   Apparently a group of foxes is called a 'skulk'.






Next, 3 Relief Carved Bowls.  These are new, and inspired by the happy outcome of the 2 relief carved vases in my last firing.  These are each a good size for serving or snacking.

The first is a fox chasing 2 rabbits, with some birch trees:




The second is a fox chasing a pheasant, with some cattails:




The third has 2 humpback whales and 2 peace signs, and is definitely for Jenny Jib in Lunenburg.




On the topic of Whaleware, there is also a sperm whale plate, that will be able to hang on the wall.  It's 11.5" long now but will shrink in the firing process.


And four more whale mugs.  I have a new blue stoneware glaze I'm excited to try with these!


This next firing will also have a big turkey and ornaments from this last post, as well as some other animal bowls and figurines that I won't photograph until they're done.  

For potters, or anyone, who gets tendonitis  - I can't believe I haven't had tendonitis flare back up from all this carving! I credit this powdered magnesium citrate supplement I started taking this year, Natural Calm which I picked up at the Healthy Bug in Halifax.  Apparently due in part to depletion of minerals in our soil from intensive agriculture, and our poor diets, magnesium deficiency is a widespread issue that can cause all sorts of symptoms, tendonitis being one of them.  Google 'magnesium deficiency' to learn more.  Eating more anti-inflammatory and/or alkaline food, along with doing yoga is probably helping too!

No comments:

Post a Comment